Monday 15 August 2011

Part 2: Change Makers

The day after I finished at Liverpool I flew to Bamako, Mali to help with a children’s programme during the BMS West Africa Retreat, for which ‘Change Makers’ was the theme. The mornings were spent with Ruth, Rebecca, Raphael, Beatrice and Rosemary and the time flew by with storytelling, crafts, dramas, singing, jewellery making and more. But I am pleased to announce to all those children’s workers reading this- not 1 paper plate was used!

One afternoon, the usual routine of swimming and chatting was supplemented by a boat trip along the River Niger. This was only a little delayed while the substantial puddle in the bottom of the boat was bailed out (!!!), but once we got going I enjoyed the glimpse into more of Malian life.    

Spending time with the Hotchkin family, who will be my future colleagues (and neighbours and family and friends), was invaluable to me for getting to know them better and hearing more of life in Chad. It was great to be back on African soil and I left Mali with an even greater peace, anticipation and eagerness to get to Chad- I was even excited about starting my French course 3 days later in Paris!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.